Jan 7, 2009

I plead guilty

I forgot my New Year Resolution. Yes, I did.

There was just one thing I wanted to do this year and I forgot what it was. I don’t have the ‘resolution-taking’ habit. They don’t motivate me. I have never done the New Year Resolution thing in my life yet. Perhaps, every time some one asks me what I resolved to do that year, it must’ve felt good to say “nothing”. The first thing I do after I set the resolutions is to break them.

After reading a lot of to-do lists in blogs, I thought maybe I have a list after-all, nothing particularly to complete in this year, but something like “to-do before you turn xx”. But I am too lazy for that. So, I gave that a pass and just continued reading more lists, the best I can do to get ideas. And then, it came to me - in a flash. That something I thought was not in the lists of many, maybe because, the list-makers have all done it, or just because it wasn’t worth any mention anyway. But I hadn’t thought about it till then and the idea of doing it excited me. It wasn’t a trek or a hitch-hike trip or any such random thing. It was something very objective and the minute it crossed my mind, I knew it could be my ‘resolution’ for the year and that it is also do-able. My bad, I didn’t note it down on paper. I actually thought about writing it down, but thought to myself that it was so not on the other peoples’ lists and I can just not forget it just for the uniqueness of it. And, see here I am after resolving to do something this year, just about a couple of days back and wondering what it actually was.

I have thought out almost all options (learning salsa, baking more, losing more weight, which couldn’t have been an exciting option, a good holiday, bungee jumping, hhmmph) in my mind and nothing is as exciting as the idea that flashed across that day! Sadly, I don’t even know what it type/genre of activity it was. Laugh at me.
And dear people, this is my 5oth post in this blog, yaaay!

2 comments:

Shilpa said...

:-)

I am one of those who has never made resolutions and I am very happy about it. Those who know me don't ask me about my resolutions. Those who don't are surprised to know that I have never made one. They think I am leading a very uneventful, goalless life.

Well, who cares. Making resolutions and not sticking to them (which is what 90% people do) is very uncool.

Not making resolutions but still achieving what you wanted to is really cool.

No?

Sowmya Srikrishnan said...

Yes, thats the entire point - the coolness and the uncoolness of it :)